The only equipment you will carry is your day back pack and the essentials you need for the walk that day. Items might include:
- Your pre-prepared lunch
- Coffee mug
- Rain jacket
- Fleece jumper or similar
- Any personal medications you require
- Hat and sunglasses
- Water vessel ie: CamelBak
Your guides will carry tea and coffee supplies for use on trail.
- Water resistant duffel style bag or similar with a weight limit of 12kg
- Please ensure your luggage weighs less than 12kg
- Water bladder or bottles with 2.5L minimum especially for the warmer months
- Hiking poles and gaiters if you like to use them
- Day back pack 22 litres or more with a waist strap
- Quality rain jacket and optional rain pants
- Warm jacket e.g. light weight down jacket
- Fleece jumper or similar x 2
- In winter a beanie, gloves, scarf and thermals are required
- Breathable walking shirts plus shirts for evening
- Light weight hiking pants plus pants for evening
- Hiking socks – foot care is important
- Hiking boots/shoes with good grip that have been worn in but are not too old
- Change of shoes for evening (runners or comfortable shoes)
- Plastic or ‘stuff bag’ for putting shoes or wet items into
- Hanging toiletry bag is useful
- General medicine as approved by your Doctor – Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Voltaren
- Prescribed medicines
- Toiletries – toothpaste and brush, hair brush, deodorant, nail clippers, tweezers, band-aids, lip balm, dental floss, hand sanitiser, razor
- Phone and camera charger
It is essential to have good quality, hiking or trail shoes with good grip. One of the most common ailments we see on trail is where guests bring old hiking shoes and the sole detatches from the shoe mid-hike.
Please ensure your shoes are relatively new (no more than a couple of years old) and that they have been worn frequently recently. Overtime the glue deteriorates and affects the sole of the shoe.
Our walk have a maximum of 12 guests.
Yes. We will still commence the hike in most weather conditions (please bring along your sense of adventure) unless it poses a threat to the safety of our guests. If we cancel a walk we will be in contact with you to reschedule.
A quality rain jacket is essential.
- Packed morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea while on trail plus trail mix
- Mug for tea & coffee on trail
- Sunscreen and insect spray
- First Aid Kits carried by guides
Your luggage is transferred for you each day so all you carry is your day pack.
- All bedding, linen and towels are provided
- Bathroom products including shampoo, conditioner, body wash & moisturiser
- All meals with breakfast and dinner being enjoyed at camp each day
- All beverages including wine, beer & select spirits
You will need a good (above average) level of fitness and excellent balance and stability to comfortably navigate our trails.
Most days we will be walking on some Grade 4 & 5 tracks (Australian Walking Trade Grading Standard) which means tracks are less defined and are rough and steep in sections.
Approximately 50% of the trails are Grade 5 rainforest trails. There is no formed track and you can expect tree roots, rocks and obstacles. In wet weather it maybe slippery underfoot.
If you haven’t done a multi-day hike before you may wish to start with our 2-day Walk and work your way up.
Bushwalking does have inherent dangers and walkers participate at their own risk.
There is very minimal phone reception throughout the region. All camps have Wi-Fi in the main lodge and you can generally make calls over Wi-Fi on your phone.
While on trail we ask all guests to switch their phone to flight mode that we aren’t interrupted by the odd call or text when we get a moment of service. This allows all guests to switch off and immerse themselves into nature.
Booking & Accommodation
Yes, you can. We can organise a transfer for you from Spicers Balfour Hotel located in New Farm Brisbane or to Brisbane Airport. A quote will be provided at time of request.
Transfers are operated by local third party transfer partners.
We encourage guests to book the Spicers Scenic Rim Trail at least 7 days in advance. However, we can take last minute bookings, subject to availability. So if it’s less than 7 days out, please call on 13 77 42 and we will check for you.
Each evening, you will stay in different types of accommodation located along the trail. This includes a mix of eco-cabins, a Spicers Retreat & a modern converted farmhouse.
At the two eco-camps the bathrooms are communal with two wash pavillions being located in between the cabins. At the two other camps each room has an ensuite.
The meeting point if you elect to self-drive is Spicers Hidden Vale, located at 617 Grandchester Mount Mort Road, Grandchester, QLD, 4340. It’s approximately a one hour drive from Brisbane. You will be able to park your car here for the duration of your trip. You will be transferred back to to your vehicle at the end of the trip.
Yes we can arrange pre and post accommodation at Spicers Balfour Hotel in New Farm Brisbane. Please call our Reservations Team to book on 13 77 42.
Yes, you can and we strongly encourage an add on stay at Spicers Peak Lodge. To enquire about this please call our Reservations Team on 13 77 42.
General and Other
We do have an age limit of 18 years and over. If you are an active family with mature hiking teenagers we are happy for them to join you on the walk.
To view our Environmental Protection Biodiversity Conservation Response (EPBC) documentation please click here